From one extreme to the other this week. On Tuesday I posted time consuming macarons and today I have a super speedy pastry recipe. Red pesto and mozzarella pinwheels only need 3 ingredients and can be ready in about half an hour with minimal preparation. I’ve used my homemade sun dried tomato, chilli and basil pesto here with shop bought ready rolled puff pastry. You could of course make your own puff pastry but in the spirit of the quick and easy theme for The Pastry Challenge this month, I decided to take a short cut.
I’ve still never made my own puff pastry, but after my success with croissants recently, I will have a go at making my own when the weather is a little cooler. It’s not been overly sunny here lately, in fact it’s been dull, grey and miserable. But it has still been quite warm and humid so I haven’t wanted to spend too long in the kitchen and these pinwheels are perfect to whip up for an easy lunch or a quick snack.
- 375g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 5 tbsp red pesto
- 200g grated mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Lay out the pastry sheet on a clean work surface and spread the pesto over evenly then scatter over the mozzarella.
- Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll and then cut into 12 pieces, each roughly 1cm thick and lay flat on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I’m linking my red pesto and mozzarella pinwheels up with The Pastry Challenge which I co host with Lisa from United Cakedom and also sharing with Bake of the Week.