Baking

Wholemeal Stilton and Broccoli Pasties

wholemeal stilton and broccoli pasties

As promised a couple of days ago here’s another cheese filled recipe. This time the cheese is stilton and I’ve paired it up with broccoli and leeks for these wholemeal pasties. I set the theme for The Pastry Challenge this month as picnics just so I could have an excuse to bake pasties and fill my freezer with easy lunches that can be eaten outside on sunny days. Sadly we’ve not had that many sunny days yet in May but things seem to be looking up this weekend.

Long time readers may remember that I used to live in Plymouth, right on the border with Cornwall and baking pasties reminds me of living in the south west. Despite living in Devon for nearly 7 years I never developed a taste for the traditional meat filled pasty, I always preferred the vegetarian option when treating myself to a pasty for lunch and stilton and broccoli pasties are one of my favourites. I still haven’t quite mastered the art of pasty crimping yet though and think I need more practice!

wholemeal stilton and broccoli pasties

Wholemeal Stilton & Broccoli Pasties

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Pasties are perfect for taking on picnics and these vegetarian stilton and broccoli pasties are great if you're not a fan of the traditional pasty.
Author:
  • 2 medium leeks, finely sliced
  • 450g broccoli florets, finely chopped
  • 200g blue stilton, crumbled into small pieces
To finish:
  • 1 egg lightly beaten with a splash of milk
Method
  1. Make the pastry by putting the butter and flour in a food processor and pulsing until you get a breadcrumb texture. Then add the eggs and the water and pulse again until it starts to come together. Turn off the machine and then bring the pastry together by hand, shape into a ball, wrap in clingfilm then rest in the fridge for half an hour. Alternatively make the pastry by hand by rubbing the butter into the flour then working in the eggs and water using a round bladed knife and finish as above.
  2. For the filling melt the butter in a non stick frying pan over medium heat and fry the leeks until softened then remove to a bowl and leave to cool. Mix through the broccoli and stilton and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  4. Take the pastry out of the fridge and divide into 10 pieces. Roll each piece out on a lightly floured work surface to a circle approx 20cm diameter and 3-4mm thick.
  5. Divide the filling between the pastry circles, then brush round the edges with the beaten egg and fold over one side of the circle to make a half moon shape and seal in the filling by crimping the edges of the pastry. Repeat for the remaining pastry circles then place the pasties on non stick baking trays and prick a few times with a fork to let the steam out and brush over the beaten egg to glaze.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and the filling is piping hot and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Notes
These pasties are best served warm but can also be made in advance and frozen then reheated at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until piping hot in the middle.

Wholemeal flour requires more liquid than white flour when making pastry so if it feels a little dry don't be afraid to add an extra tbsp or two of water if needed.

This is my entry for the picnic themed Pastry Challenge which I co host with Lisa at United Cakedom. I’m also linking up with Bake of the Week and Meat Free Mondays.

For more vegetarian pasty ideas try curried vegetables pasties from Tinned Tomatoes or Jamaican power pasties from Coffee and Vanilla.

pastry_challenge Bake-of-the-week meat free mondays logo (1)

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

Nancy | Plus Ate Six
    May 24, 2015 at 2:06 am

My husband’s from Cornwall and I’ve been banned from making ‘Cornish’ pasties because they aren’t authentic! I love the flavour combo of broccoli and stilton – these are just the sort of thing I like to have in the freezer for an easy snack/lunch.
    Nancy | Plus Ate Six recently posted…Chinese wood ear mushroom saladMy Profile

Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry
    May 25, 2015 at 7:29 am

Oooooooooh I have been experimenting with wholemeal pastry for bites like these but somehow forgot to finish the recipe. This is making me want to do so. Lovely eats
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted…Slow Cooked Five Spice Pulled PorkMy Profile

Choclette
    May 25, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I do of course remember you living down here Jen. I’m very impressed with your pasties. I’ve never managed to make anything that looks half as good and wholemeal pastry is really difficult to work with too. The filling sounds delicious.
    Choclette recently posted…Brie and Chive Lunch SconesMy Profile

Kerry @ Kerry Cooks
    May 25, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I could REALLY do with one of these right now! 🙂 Yum! Love that you’ve healthified them a bit too!
    Kerry @ Kerry Cooks recently posted…Salted Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

Claire @foodiequine
    May 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I love s Pasty and have been know to grab one for lunch form a well known Pasty shop. These sound right up my street although Haggis Pasties are still my favourite. Actually I bet they would work well with stilton.
    Claire @foodiequine recently posted…The Store – Open Farm Sunday & Foodie FridayMy Profile

Emily Leary
    May 28, 2015 at 3:00 pm

They are absolutely beautiful, Jen. Your work is exceptionally gorgeous lately.
    Emily Leary recently posted…Ultra decadent millionaire’s mini loavesMy Profile

Margot @ Coffee & Vanilla
    May 28, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Oh, those sounds really good! Great idea to use wholemeal flour… healthy comfort food 🙂
    Margot @ Coffee & Vanilla recently posted…Trip to Paris & Lunch at Porte 12 with Teisseire Syrups #TourDeTeisseireMy Profile

Camilla
    May 28, 2015 at 4:33 pm

My son and hubby would love these but I’m afriad blue cheese just leaves me cold:-(
    Camilla recently posted…The Evolution of the Ice Cream VanMy Profile

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    May 29, 2015 at 8:45 am

These sound amazing! Lovely photos. I’m actually not a huge fan of blue cheese, but you’ve made me want to try these anyway!
    Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche recently posted…Creamy Mediterranean tortellini bakeMy Profile

Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe
    May 30, 2015 at 1:05 pm

This look superb. I really love pasties and broccoli and cheese will always work for me. Now if only I could get organised enough to take them on a picnic!
    Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe recently posted…Baked Carrot and Feta Risotto and random musingsMy Profile

Recipe Roundup: 10 Vegetarian Pie, Tart and Pasty Recipes - The Veg Space
    May 30, 2015 at 1:53 pm

[…] Wholemeal Stilton & Broccoli Pasties from Jen’s Food blog I can’t think of anything more perfect for a sunny picnic than […]

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
    May 31, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Broccoli and stilton is one of my favourite soups, so I bet it is really good in a pastie too.
    Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy recently posted…Comment on Huevos Rancheros by DanniiMy Profile

Twenty recipes to enjoy al fresco | Foodies 100
    June 24, 2015 at 9:22 am

[…] Food – Wholemeal Stilton and Broccoli Pasties. These can be made ahead and frozen and make great picnic […]

Bariatric Eating
    April 7, 2016 at 6:41 am

What a great idea of cooking your broccoli. With wholemeal stilton and broccoli pasties – a great combination of those two main ingredients. Deliciously and satisfying for whom will taste this pasties recipe.