Baking

Raspberry, Rose & Pomegranate Layer Cake

raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

A couple of weeks ago I went to visit my parents for the weekend down in Dorset and whilst I was there they took me around their local vintage market in Bridport. I was hoping to find a couple of nice plates to use in my food photography and I picked up a pair of gorgeous side plates with a floral design and gold trim. I also managed to find a beautiful cake slice and a set of dessert forks all for the grand total of £11, an absolute bargain. So obviously the sensible thing to do with these new purchases was to think of a delicious cake recipe that would allow me to show them off.

raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

My boyfriend got a promotion at work recently which we’re both really happy with and to celebrate I said I would bake him whatever cake he fancied. He decided that he wanted a cake with a raspberry flavour, didn’t care what it looked like as long as it contained raspberries and buttercream. With that as my starting point I started thinking about how I could make a cake worthy of a celebration and decided to add pomegranates and just the merest hint of rose flavour.

raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

I love how pomegranate seeds look just like tiny little gem stones and how they catch the light so beautifully. It was quite a dull afternoon when I was taking the photos of this cake, but the pomegranate seeds still managed to sparkle despite the overcast skies.

raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

The cake is a simple vanilla sponge but the combination of raspberry, rose and pomegranate turn what could just be an ordinary layer cake into something much more special. The buttercream is flavoured with and coloured by raspberry juice, no food colourings needed here.

Raspberry, rose and pomegranate cake

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Tart raspberries, juicy pomegranate and a hint of rose elevate a simple vanilla sponge into something magical.
Author:
  • 400g icing sugar, sifted
  • 3 tbsp raspberry juice
  • 2-3 drops rose extract
To finish:
  • seeds from ½ pomegranate
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180­­°C and grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract and the milk. Fold in the flour and then divide the mixture between the cake tins, make a small dip in the centre of the batter in each tin so the cakes rise evenly without peaking. If you want to make sure the layers are really even then weigh the cake batter in each tin.
  3. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let the cakes rest in the tins for a couple of minutes then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool.
  4. While the cakes are in the oven prepare the raspberries for the filling by placing them in a small pan over a medium heat and gently cooking until the fruit has broken down and the juice is released. Remove from the heat and pour the raspberries into a sieve set over a small bowl to collect the juice. When the strained raspberries are cold mix them together with the seeds from half of the pomegranate and add a couple of drops of rose extract. You just want a very subtle hint of rose flavour here so don't add too much.
  5. To make the buttercream, beat the butter until it is very soft and fluffy then add the icing sugar and the reserved raspberry juice. Beat together until smooth and add a couple of drops of rose extract, again not too much as you don't to overpower the fruit.
  6. Put one of the cake layers on a cake plate and spread over half of the buttercream, use a palette knife to ensure it reaches the edges. Then add the raspberry and pomegranate filling and top with the second cake layer.
  7. To decorate, spread the remaining buttercream on the of the cake and then use the tip of your palette knife to create a textured pattern by slowly rotating the plate whilst you flick upwards all over. This creates small indentations for the pomegranate seeds to sit in without rolling off. Finish by scattering over the seeds from the other half of the pomegranate.

raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

For more recipe ideas using pomegranate try Bintu’s pomegranate pancakes, Lucy’s pistachio dacquoise with raspberry and pomegranate, Helen’s vegan apple and pomegranate jelly, Choclette’s chocolate pomegranate cake with lemon curd and strawberries, Nazima’s tropical fruit pavlova,  my white chocolate and pomegranate tarts or my pomegranate and rose iced muffins.

I’m linking up with Jibber Jabber’s Love Cake challenge where the theme this month is colour me pretty. I’m also linking up with Bake of the week and Cook Blog Share.

LoveCakelinklogo CookBlogShare Bake-of-the-week

Raspberry, rose and pomegranate layer cake

You Might Also Like

26 Comments

Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs
    May 9, 2015 at 5:37 pm

First of all congratulations to your boyfriend 😀 what exciting news! This cake certainly looks fit for a celebration and the food props really do work fantastically (perhaps he’d also noticed a pink cake would help show them off?) Some really stunning pics 🙂
    Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs recently posted…Beetroot Salad with Feta and Honey VinaigretteMy Profile

Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry
    May 10, 2015 at 5:24 am

Oh my gosh. Please, please, please can I come over for a slice?
    Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted…Roasted Orange, Asparagus and Quinoa SaladMy Profile

Jan @GlugofOil
    May 10, 2015 at 6:30 am

Now that’s a CAKE love it!
    Jan @GlugofOil recently posted…Pimped Potato Salad – Get Spicy!My Profile

Lucy @ BakingQueen74
    May 10, 2015 at 7:18 am

Wow, your cake looks amazing. I love the pomegranate seeds you’ve used inside, they make it look really special. Lovely flavours.
    Thanks for linking to my recipe too.
    Lucy @ BakingQueen74 recently posted…Slow Cooker Cherry CakeMy Profile

Elizabeth
    May 10, 2015 at 8:16 am

Congratulations to your boyfriend, and wow, what a stunning cake! Beautiful cake stand too, and I love that patterned plate – bargains indeed! Gorgeous photos too!
    Elizabeth recently posted…Mexican Chilli Beans with Homemade Tortilla ChipsMy Profile

Stuart Vettese
    May 10, 2015 at 8:50 am

Wow – this is stunning Jen! The pomegranate seeds are like sparkling jewels and match the lovely cake stand. I bet the flavours are amazeballs!!
    Stuart Vettese recently posted…Win a ‘Hot Cookie’ – To Keep Your Cuppa Warm!My Profile

Kate @ Veggie Desserts
    May 10, 2015 at 10:22 am

What a beautiful cake, befitting of such a lovely cake stand and plates. It sounds so delicious! Congrats to your boyfriend 🙂
    Kate @ Veggie Desserts recently posted…Turmeric Mango Lassi with Candied Black Pepper AlmondsMy Profile

kellie@foodtoglow
    May 10, 2015 at 2:18 pm

What a beautiful cake, Jen! How sweet to make a cake for your boyfriend to celebrate his new job (quite cool for him to like raspberry), and the addition of pomegranate to the raspberry, and then that rose platter – a feast for the eye! I hope your man loves his new job. 🙂
    kellie@foodtoglow recently posted…Kladdkaka – Swedish Sticky Chocolate CakeMy Profile

Choclette
    May 10, 2015 at 6:51 pm

That’s such a beautiful cake and I love the cake stand too. I want to dive in and eat a slice as they are my kind of flavours. I’m also rather jealous of your cake fork set – I need one! Thanks for including a link to one of my recipes
    Choclette recently posted…Raspberry Syllabub with Chardonnay Vanilla BiscuitsMy Profile

Laura@howtocookgoodfood
    May 10, 2015 at 7:33 pm

What a beautiful cake. Makes me want to get baking this myself. Love the colours and the flavour combination too. Your boyfriend must have loved this creation!

Laura
    May 11, 2015 at 8:16 am

This looks perfect. The colours, the texture, everything. And I’m very jealous of your new food props 😉
    Laura recently posted…New Method Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    May 11, 2015 at 8:21 am

Absolutely beautiful! Pomegranate is always so pretty 🙂
    Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche recently posted…Creamy mushroom stuffed crepesMy Profile

Catherine
    May 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Dear Jen, what an absolutely stunning cake! Such a beautiful dessert…it sounds so lovely dear. xo, Catherine
    Catherine recently posted…A Mother’s Day LuncheonMy Profile

peter @feedyoursoultoo
    May 11, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Jen, I love red fruits and the addition of the pomegranates is so fun and adds a great texture.
    peter @feedyoursoultoo recently posted…Garlic Cheese SpaghettiMy Profile

Otilia
    May 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm

This cake looks so lush! Thanks for sharing!
    Otilia recently posted…Carrot CakeMy Profile

Heather
    May 11, 2015 at 6:16 pm

oh wow, what a cake! And what a super reason for celebrating.
    Heather recently posted…The Secrets of the Lost CarnivalMy Profile

Lisa@unitedcakedom
    May 11, 2015 at 7:33 pm

No one and I mean no one could resist this cake! It’s so pretty and pink and fruity! I do really like your new cake stand too!! I just have a glass one, perhaps I should do a bit of looking around!
    Lisa@unitedcakedom recently posted…Treacle Tart & The Parasol Protectorate/SoullessMy Profile

Heidy@ The McCallums Shamrock Patch
    May 11, 2015 at 10:57 pm

What a stunning cake, I would be thrilled to have a few slices.
    Heidy@ The McCallums Shamrock Patch recently posted…Tropical Quinoa Salad with ShrimpMy Profile

Fareeha - faskitchen
    May 12, 2015 at 5:28 am

Wow, Jen.. The cake is absolutely fabulous.. The pomegranate on top of it is just mind blowing.. what a perfect topping
    Fareeha – faskitchen recently posted…Tawa Pulao Recipe-How to make Tawa PulaoMy Profile

Lucy @SupergoldenBakes
    May 16, 2015 at 8:41 am

I am so envious of your prop finds! Such a thrill finding something beautiful for a couple of quid! This cake looks incredible – beautiful and such a perfect bake. The boyfriend must have been pleased : ) Thanks for linking with #CookBlogShare
    Lucy @SupergoldenBakes recently posted…Cocktail Friday: Blackberry DaiquiriMy Profile

Sisley
    May 19, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to try it x
    Sisley recently posted…Outlander – Book to TV ShowMy Profile

Ness
    May 28, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Such a pretty cake. I love the way it shines with the pomegranates on top. The natural colours of the cake are stunning.
    Ness recently posted…Urban Green Spaces – Jephson Gardens, Royal Leamington SpaMy Profile

Caprera
    October 14, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Wow! This is so colourful and yummy!

Jen
      November 4, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Adam
    February 7, 2016 at 11:36 am

Looks great Jen! I recently posted a smoothie bowl that had pomegranate and raspberries, it’s a great combination 🙂
    Adam recently posted…Chocolate Pistachio BrowniesMy Profile

Jen
      March 4, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Thanks Adam, that sounds like a smoothie bowl I need to try sometime!