Uncategorized

The Pastry Challenge

New month means time for a new challenge. Ages ago I ran a monthly linky called the Classic French challenge which was all about coming up with recipes inspired by French patisserie. I had to end the challenge after only a year as the thesis started to take over my life. Now that’s all behind me I’ve decided that I want to run another monthly linky along a similar theme as I was really enjoying getting creative with patisserie.

This new challenge is called The Pastry Challenge and I’m going to be running it with my buddy Lisa from United Cakedom. The challenge is simple, make anything using pastry and link up. We’re both looking to improve our pastry skills and this seemed like a great way to do it. Whether you’ve baked with choux, shortcrust, puff, flaky, filo, or hot water crust we want to see your entries. You don’t even have to make your own pastry for your bake if time is short, but it would be great to plenty of entries with homemade pastry.

pastry_challenge

We’ll be taking it in turns to host and I’m up first. There’s no theme this month as it’s a new challenge so link up anything that you make with pastry during March. Savoury and sweet entries both welcome.

A few challenge guidelines

The Pastry Challenge will run from the 1st to the 28th of each month with a round up posted by the hosting blog at the end of each month.

You can link up an entry made with any kind of pastry each month and feel free to join in with other blog challenges too if your entry meets their criteria.

We’d like to see entries from new blog posts only please not links to old content and you can enter more than one recipe if you like.

Please link back to both Jen’s Food and United Cakedom in your post and include the badge to help spread the word.

If you want to tweet your links you can tag us on @JensFood and @unitedcakedom using the hashtag #thepastrychallenge and we will retweet all entries that we see.

We’ll also be pinning all of the entries onto our new Pinterest board too as they come in.

If you make a recipe from a book/magazine/website etc please respect copyright and do not reproduce the recipe verbatim. Instead of copying out the recipe from the book, describe it in your own words and if it’s from an online source please link to the original content.

We’re looking forward to seeing your entries!

• Janice
    March 1, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I remember Classic French, glad you are getting your life back. Hope to be able to join in, although I am away for a week in March. Great challenge idea.
    Janice recently posted…From Pies to Puddings: The February Slow Cooked Challenge Round UpMy Profile

• Jen
      March 1, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I was really disappointed to give up the Classic French challenge but there’s no way I could have kept it going. Raring to go with the new challenge now and hopefully we’ll see an entry from you soon 🙂

• Choclette
    March 1, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Ooh yes, Like this idea. I did miss Classic French, even if I didn’t koi in very often.

• Dom
    March 1, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Love this idea and agree I see plenty of crossover between our two new challenges. I make pastry once a month at least so expect an entry or two from me!

• Jan @GlugofOil
    March 2, 2015 at 7:28 am

Great idea Jen!
    Jan @GlugofOil recently posted…SPAMTASTIC™ Brunch Frittata with Potatoes Spring Onions and TomatoesMy Profile

• Kavey
    March 2, 2015 at 8:09 am

I need to get Pete to do more baking, he’s the baker in our house. Shall enter if possible!
    Kavey recently posted…The Big Chocolate Tea Party + Chocolate Teaser soufflé RecipeMy Profile

• Elizabeth
    March 2, 2015 at 9:55 am

A fabulous idea for a new challenge! I shall definitely be participating when I can. 🙂

• Anita-Clare Field
    March 2, 2015 at 11:08 am

Great, I have only just become more confident with pastry and baking like Kavita it’s my other half who is the baker, in fact a trained pastry chef ! No pressure in my house then ! We’ll make sure we try and post something 🙂
    Anita-Clare Field recently posted…Meat Free Monday : Chia, Date and Cashew Muesli BarsMy Profile

• Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
    March 2, 2015 at 11:15 am

Great challenge! We tend to not eat too much pastry in our house, but it is a nice indulgence.
    Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy recently posted…Comment on Creamy Avocado Pasta by Monica ShawMy Profile

• Karen
    March 3, 2015 at 9:08 am

GREAT challenge Jen! Do you want me to add it the Food Blog Diary? Karen
    Karen recently posted…Cooking with Herbs: Spring Herbs Link-Up Party for MarchMy Profile

• Jen
      March 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Yes please Karen that would be great thank you! 🙂

• Emily Leary
    March 4, 2015 at 8:59 am

Brilliant – I think I’ll have something for this. I’ll be back!
    Emily Leary recently posted…Win a Hazelnut Buggy Organiser & Handbag Combo worth £100My Profile

• Kerry at Kerry Cooks
    March 5, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Great Idea Jen! I wish I liked pastry more!
    Kerry at Kerry Cooks recently posted…Blueberry and Coconut Oat BarsMy Profile

• Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas
    March 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the invite Jen, following your blog too! Have a great day.
    Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas recently posted…Sweet and Savoury Sundays #103My Profile

• Chive-Gruyere Gougeres | The Lass In The Apron
    March 25, 2015 at 11:19 am

[…] am linking up with another new challenge as well: The Pastry Challenge co-founded by Jen’s Food and United Cakedom. This month Jen is […]